Bad Roman – The Newest Restaurant From Quality Branded
Have you been swooning over the glamorous scenes of Italy in White Lotus? Prepare to be transported to the Italy of your dreams at Bad Roman—the latest hot spot in The Restaurant and Bar Collection on the third floor of The Shops at Columbus Circle. Here are just a few of the many reasons why you need to eat here right now.
1. It’s got serious culinary chops. The restaurant is the newest opening from the Quality Branded group—the team behind Michelin-starred Don Angie, Quality Bistro, Quality Meats, Quality Italian, Smith & Wollensky, and more. So you know it’s going to be amazing.
2. It’s maximal in every way. This is not a restaurant that keeps its design understated or that takes itself too seriously. Bad Roman is all about having a fun—and indulgent—culinary experience.
3. The design is dazzling. GRT Architects—which developed the eye-catching spaces for Don Angie, Cucina Alba, and Curtis Stone’s Georgie in Dallas—created the over-the-top interiors. Everything is drenched in colorful pops of red, orange, and pink. Perched in the middle of the space is a massive wild boar sculpture with a neon necklace. There are Florentine-inspired marble-topped counters, blown-glass globe light fixtures, trompe l’oeil mosaics, intricate tile-work, and tons of greenery. The women’s bathroom even has a massive fountain in the entrance.
4. Those views. The vibe might be Italian, but look out the massive windows. With those panoramas of Central Park and New York City, there’s no denying you’re in the greatest city on earth.
5. It’s Italian with a twist. Executive chef Nick Gaube—a veteran of Quality Italian and Quality Meats—had dreamed up a menu that puts a creative spin on Italian cuisine, with three different pillars. There’s modern Italian, red sauce Italian, and light and healthy Italian with lots of salads and fresh ingredients. Mix in other global influences, and you’ve got dishes like Garlic Babka, which takes the traditional Jewish bread and replaces chocolate with ribbons of garlic.
6. The pasta is house-made. Expect to be dazzled by the decadent pasta program. Case in point: Osetra Caviar Gnocchi topped with creme fraiche and chives. Another standout: a two-pound Whole Roasted Lobster layered with Calabrian Campanelle pasta.
7. The steak is next level. Bad Roman is taking Filetto (a.k.a. filet mignon) to new heights. It can be accented with lavish finishes like Truffle Butter or a Chianti-Poivre sauce. Or choose from a pasta accompaniment, like a Cacio e Pepe Raviolo that will drench your steak in a decadent medley of cheese and pepper.
8. The cocktail program crushes it. Quality Branded’s Creative Director Bryan Schneider has developed an inventive cocktail menu that plays off classic Italian flavors and ingredients. The Tequila Granita is a spin on a spicy margarita, with blanco tequila, lime, Calabrian honey, and habanero, all poured over granita (Italian shaved ice). Or feast your eyes on the Bad Ombré, a colorful rainbow of rye and lemon with a Barolo float and a Chinato sinker.
9. In the end—la dolce vita. Whatever you do, save room for dessert. There are sweet treats like Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake and Sticky Toffee Panettone with ricotta ice cream. Or you can go for a deliciously intoxicating grand finale from the cocktail menu: a Reverse Affogato with vanilla milk-washed vodka and espresso granita.